Skip to main content

Philosophizing The Walking Dead S1E6 TS-19 And The Eternal Return Of The Zombie

Welcome to our journey into the guts of The Walking Dead. What kind of journey? A philosophical, psychoanalytical and political kind. What I would like to do over the next couple months is dig thought the Walking Dead episode by episode to see what it can teach us. Thank you for following me on this journey. I look forward to reading your comments. Be forewarned: There are spoilers everywhere. Don’t forget to check out my previous article in the Philosophizing TWD series: Philosophizing The Walking Dead S1E5 Wildfire And Ricktocracy

Summary: TS-19 begins with the door to the Center of Disease control opening. Rick and company head in and meet a manic depressive named Dr. Jenner. The survivors get drunk, and showers. At the end of the episode the CDC computer system goes homicidal and activates a self-destruct sequence. Dr. Jenner decided to say behind and explode. Three of the survivors join him. Two change their mind, and the rest of the survivors ride off into the sunset as the CDC explodes.

About a year ago, I ran into an acquaintance boyfriend had died over the weekend. My response was “Well that sucks. How are you doing?” She responded by telling me that she appreciated that I didn't express excessive pity for her situation, nor did I impress on her the importance of religion. I laughed and told her that I have strange views on death and usually have some dirty looks cast my way when I talk about it. I figure if your death is not a celebration for people you knew in your life, then you did something wrong with your life. For this reason I plan to write into my will that there will be a clown making balloon animals at my wake. My friends think I'm joking. I'm not.

Nietzsche argued a similar point in his aphorism about the Eternal Return of the Same.

The greatest weight.-- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!" Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus?... Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?
from Nietzsche's The Gay Science, s.341, Walter Kaufmann transl.
What does death mean at the end of the world? For Andrea it's an easier answer to her low esteem and sense of self-efficacy. For Dale it is leverage to convince Andrea to change her mind. Dr. Jenner uses death to ease his burden for failing to live out his wife's legacy. Death for all three of these characters is something they are used to moving beyond a problem that they have because they are alive.

Nietzsche's argument here is not that one should live a life that is perfect. Art isn't about being perfect, it's about putting in the world something from the guts. To live with the passion of a creator. This is where Shane succeeds and Rick fails. Shane is a character that passionately owns his sense of self. Rick on the other hand is clinically neurotic. Always second guessing, and seeking someone to confirm his sense of self. Shane steps confidently out into decisions without worrying if they will be liked. Rick is perpetually seeking personal reconstitution through others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Philosophizing The Walking Dead S2E3 Save Last One and Do Zombies Believe In God?

Welcome to our journey into the guts of The  Walking Dead . What kind of journey? A philosophical, psychoanalytical and political kind. What I would like to do over the next couple months is dig thought the  Walking Dead  episode by episode to see what it can teach us. Thank you for following me on this journey. I look forward to reading your comments. Be forewarned:  There are spoilers everywhere.  Don’t forget to check out my previous article in the Philosophizing TWD series:  Philosophizing The Walking Dead S2E2 Bloodletting or is Rick Menstruating? For the amount of tragedy and death involved in The Walking Dead there is surprisingly few religious references. Most of the God references that come from characters who have explicitly stated an ambiguous relationship towards God. In Blood Letting Rick belts out a prayer in an empty church while Shane and Carl wait outside. In the prayer, he seeks a sign in order to silence the dialog in his own head. The battle ground of his sel

Open Letter to President Trump - An Offer You Shouldn't Refuse

Open Letter to President Trump, You represent the worst society has to offer. Not only has the democratic process been destroyed beyond all recognition but you have inspired a hate not seen since Hitler. You've given the country's idiots permission to let lose the full brunt of their bigotry. You've turned back the clock on women, LGBTQ, and human rights. And you did so haphazardly, for the lulz. But I am hopeful, I'd like to think you'd agree, preventing Hitler-like behavior is a good idea. I'd like to make you an offer. But first, let me tell you how you broke my heart today.

Philosophizing The Walking Dead S3E6 Hounded, Zombie Ethics and How Many Walkers Have you Killed?

Welcome to our journey into the guts of The Walking Dead. What kind of journey? A philosophical, psychoanalytical and political kind. What I would like to do over the next couple months is dig thought the Walking Dead episode by episode to see what it can teach us. Thank you for following me on this journey. I look forward to reading your comments. Be forewarned:  There are spoilers everywhere . Don’t for get to check out my previous post in the Philosophizing TWD series: Philosophizing The Walking Dead S2E5 Say The Word, The Media Apparatus and Alienation In Hounded, Rick is still reeling from Lori's death. In the final moments of LAST EPISODE, Rick receives a phone call from an apparent group of survivors. Rick attempts to negotiation with several voices. But they are resistant to Rick’s attempts to convince them about his moral integrity. The voices ask Rick a set of questions to assess his moral equilibrium. How many walkers have you killed? How many people have you k